Documenting

It seems like all the Manne family is doing lately is going down memory lane with all of our videos and such.  In my defense, I've actually had this post as a work in progress for quite some time.  If it feels like a repeat, I apologize.  Actually, I don't.  This is my blog, after all.  :) 

I've just been thinking lately how I love that we document things like holidays and birthdays, big moments like our babies' dedications, etc., but I want to remember the "just doing" of our days.  The things that would probably slip by and I would never remember if I didn't document them here.  I have kept a journal for quite some time but now I'm finding this blog to be an easier place to keep these treasured memories. 

Things I'd love my future self to remember from me now:

Cole wakes up every morning and has the same breakfast - a bagel with cream cheese and a chocolate milk.  He asks to have it in the living room every single morning and every single morning, I say that it's okay.

To get Cole to school, I lug out the double stroller with Laina in the front, one of the twins in the back and the other twin riding on the basket in the back while I push.  We are such a sight walking into that school!  I am so thankful to the sweet parents who see me out of breath and push that lovely blue handicap button so we can get inside without getting smushed in the door.

Cole has been complaining every time I ask him to push the blue button that saves my life, "But Mommy, we're not handicapped!"  True...but somedays with that load, it feels as if we are.

Maurah and Hayden ask where Cole is every single time we've just dropped him off in his class.

I love how Hayden says, "Duh nudder" for another.  "Mommy, may I hab duh nudder kwa-cka?"

Laina is going to sleep without bottles!  Hooray for teeth that aren't rotting!  Now to get her to give up that pacifier...

Cole read his first book to me the other day.  Dr. Seuss' Hop on Pop.  My stomach flips and flops with the excitement of what this new achievement is bringing into our lives.  I love that he loves to read so much.

Jake works very early mornings at the factory in Rockford and comes home exhausted most days.  I'm so thankful for the work he's doing in our "in between" time here.  The job is such a blessing and is providing for all of our needs.  I'm so thankful God has worked in this and so thankful to have friends/family who set us up with this job.

Laina gives the sweetest kisses now and has also taken the word "mine" as her motto.  She is growing up so quickly and I can't help but want to freeze time so she can stay this way for at least another three years.

I cannot stand when the girls don't go to sleep at bedtime but another part of me loves the fact that they giggle and tell each other silly things.  You can almost feel the bonding happening when they do this and I love that.

We've been doing our Daily Heart Reports and our Acts of Service charts and the flow of the house seems to be going much smoother.  The kids love both of these.  Now, if only their mom could be more consistent with them...

Blow drying the girls' hair every night after baths has become a fun thing for the females in the house.  Even Laina lines up to get her locks blown dry before bed.  I love them just sitting on my lap, still as can be, each of us relaxed and just loving the soothing sound of the dryer as we cuddle a bit.

Maurah has been giving me hugs each night when I pray with her.  She opens her arms wide and then pats my back.  It is the sweetest thing ever.

I love brushing the kids' teeth.  Isn't that strange?  I get the weirdest satisfaction out of it.  I need to get out more.

We have banned fruit snacks at our house and, while I thought WWIII would break out right in our kitchen, the kids have been really great about having fruits, vegetables and crackers for snacks.  They have even started asking me what's healthy and what's not and I love that they're getting this awareness at such a young age.

On the flip side, the jelly bean dispenser Cole got for his birthday a couple of years ago is doing us no good.  Laina walks up to it, points and says, "Mine?" in the sweetest little voice.  She knows exactly what she's doing and exactly how to get her way with me...and so then I'm dolling out Jelly Bellys for everyone.  I'm such a sucker.

Jake makes me coffee every morning so that when I wake up, all I have to do is push the button.  It's incredible and I love him deeply for it.  Making coffee should be a love language.

I'm wanting to get back into the habit of doing Family Night Fridays like we used to do.  I am missing them a ton!  Maybe that's one of my late resolutions for 2011?

These next eight months are the last eight months I will have Cole home with me at all during the day.  Can you tell I'm already dreading this?  Kindergarten this fall...trying to savor all of this time while we have it!

Maurah is potty trained and Hayden is not...another thing that has got to happen in 2011!  Here's to hoping 2012 can be a diaper free year!

Maurah refuses to wear any underwear that aren't pink,  I have to sneak her Little Mermaid socks away from her to wash them, and we have to have her Dora jammies, sunglasses, slippers and headband if those are the jammies she chooses to wear.  Missing just one of those accessories will.not.do.

Cole still loves to sit on my lap and snuggle.  I pray the day never comes that he outgrows this.

I love watching Laina push her baby around in her stroller.  She'll bring her to me and say "Baby" in her sweet, mama-like voice.

Speaking of "mamas," Maurah brings Laina her pacifier and blanket every time she's crying.  I love that about her.

Jake and I spend most evenings just being together, catching up on our favorite shows - Parenthood, Modern Family, and The Biggest Loser.

Both of the twins are really into puzzle building right now.  This is a really fun stage because I could build puzzles with them all day...it's a calm, quiet activity.  :)

I think that's it for right now.  This is a pretty exhaustive list which is why I know for a fact that I wouldn't remember these things.  I think I'm going to try and do this every six months or so just to keep a record of the "everydays" of life...celebrating the every day ordinary like I originally wanted this blog to be about.

No comments:

A New Spark

June also brought with it a somewhat new adventure for Maurah.  She joined MainStage Academy of Dance in the winter and showcased her work t...