Today is your birthday! So far, it hasn't been what we've planned for quite some time now. While we were supposed to have your humongo Star Wars party, we had to reschedule because we've had a sick house this last week or so. So, while we were waiting to have cake and ice cream for your "family party" today, you and I went downtown and did a mini-photo shoot. It only lasted about five minutes, which seems pretty fitting, doesn't it? In your defense, it was soooo cold! But I love these pictures of you and how they capture you and your personality, right now, at this awesome age of
1. I love that you are a boy who loves routine. I mean, LOVES it. Every morning, I know that you will request a bagel with cream cheese and a chocolate milk. Every night before bed, regardless of how much past your bedtime we're up, you request a story before going to sleep. And while my sleepy eyes feel like it's a bit too much to give in to since you usually have school the next day, how can I resist a request like that?
2. I absolutely, positively love having you read to me. It blows me away how you just grasp the idea of letters and sounds and how they all work together. I'm pretty sure you've read every single one of your birthday cards to us this year rather than the other way around. Your favorite books right now are Dr. Seuss books and I thought it was so cool to see your 4th grade reading buddy read you an entire collection of Dr. Seuss' works in your class the other day. It totally "fit" you.
3. While we're on the subject of reading, I love how you've been reading to the girls. It is the sweetest thing I've seen you all do together and I hope it continues for years to come. I will never tire of you three, sitting on a little couch with a sheet over your heads, in your own make-shift fort and reading them Dora story after Dora story. What a great big brother you are!
4. I love watching you wrestle with Dad, knowing the bond you two are building together. Your laugh is infectious and your moves are getting really good! It's especially fun to see your sense of humor shine through in your playtime and goofing around. You make us laugh so much!
5. I love when you tell me you love me out of the blue. Just today, driving into the city, you said this when nothing really prompted it. You have no idea how much that means to me. It's one thing to say I love you in response to someone. It's a whole other thing to be the first to say it. I love when you're the first.
Cole, you bring so much joy to our family. You are the caring big brother that I am so proud your sisters have. You are a loving, respectful son who enjoys having tons of fun with us. And most of all, your heart for Jesus is just growing and flourishing. The questions you ask me blow my mind and I love that you want to know more...know who He is and how He loves.
I never called myself a mom until you came along and my world totally changed. You are my little man growing into such a big boy and it's undeniable that you are definitely not my baby anymore...the way your legs dangle past my knees when I try to carry you proves that!
Aside from your dad, you are the most important guy in my life. I love you!!!!