Mr. President

I just finished watching the Presidential Inauguration (thank goodness for DVR!). Many different thoughts and emotions struck me during this momentous occasion. Watching the sea of Americans who traveled to Washington, D.C. for this man made me wonder if there have ever been that many present at an inauguration before. I am not usually a fan of politics, and I don't typically follow government so closely as I have since this last election. However, even I find myself caught up in the emotion and the excitement of what Barack Obama delivers to our nation. Watching people in Kenya and other nations around the world and seeing the joy that even they have, I can't help but be excited that this is happening in my country, during my lifetime. Our new President gives many hope and an assurance that all will be well. Our economy will grow stronger, our earth will be greener, and nations will grow more peaceful.

As badly as I want all of these things to happen, I can't help but wonder how much we're putting our reliance on one person. I can't help but feel sorry for him, as an entire world rests all of their burdens on his shoulders, praying that he will fix it for them. Unfortunately, even I have to catch myself falling into this idealism. When I listen to his speeches and get dreamy-eyed about what our new leader will do for our country, I realize that I also struggle with looking to him to "fix" us. If my heart leans that way, even with the faith that I hold, how much more will others who have no faith lean toward that?

Listening to Rick Warren pray for our new President, I was in hope that that sea of people would truly be listening to his words - words about Jesus Christ and our hope in Him. Christ wants us to put all of our burdens on Him and pray that He can fix them. Truly, He is the only One who can make any of us better. Through Him are we able to reach our full potential. Through Him are we able to bring change to America and to our world.

Colossians says, "For by him (Christ) all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him."

We are here for God. We were created by Him and we are here to glorify Him. This is our purpose. It's Barack Obama's true purpose also, being created by Him just as everyone of us has been. So I'm going to pray not that Barack Obama would take care of our nation, but that God would use the rulers and authorities He has put into place to allow His work to be done. America is not God's chosen nation - but we, those who hold Him in our hearts, are God's people. His chosen sons and daughters. Let's look to Him then, not forgetting that He is in charge - He is the ruler of not just the free world, but the entire universe. And that He not only rules it, He created it and He loves it.

I am hopeful for our new President and I'm hopeful for a better world. But let's find our true hope for a better world in Christ - our real Rock and Redeemer.

No comments:

A New Spark

June also brought with it a somewhat new adventure for Maurah.  She joined MainStage Academy of Dance in the winter and showcased her work t...