A Look Back

I keep thinking of 2008 and how to best sum up my year, full of much pain and joy. I found this meme to copy and thought I would fill it out! Here goes....

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I tried some really crazy Mexican food with Jake on our anniversary. It was totally out of the box for us, but delicious!
Link
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Ummm...did I make New Year's resolutions last year?? I have a bunch for this year and I've actually written them down! Maybe I'll share in another post....
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Myself, first of all, then my sister-in-law, and a few of my good friends!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, Jake's Grandma 'Laine.


5. What countries did you visit? This year was definitely a year we didn't go very far....does Ohio count??

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More dates with Jake and a bit more calm.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 31 when I was first sent for my 7-week hospital stay, March 18 when the girls were born, March 26 for Cole's birthday and the first time we held the twins, May 23 when Hayden came home, June 7 when Maurah came home.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Surviving my time and the girls' time in the hospital and then figuring out life after the twins came home.

9. What was your biggest failure? Keeping my house clean or even half-way clean.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? You can visit my other blog for all the details!

11. What was the best thing you bought? Tickets to Wicked and the Phantom of the Opera! Amazing!!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Every human who lives in my house. Here are a few examples.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mine - here's why!

14. Where did most of your money go? Diapers, coffee, stain remover and....how many times can you mention diapers?

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The girls coming home from the hospital!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Anything from the Wicked soundtrack - I belted it out every day in the car to and from visiting the girls. Also, "I'll Be" by Reba McEntire. I sang it to the girls when they were still in my belly!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? (a) happier, thanks to God and His amazing grace (b) fatter, thanks to carrying the twins, then thinner, thanks to chasing the twins (c) richer, thanks to a bit of a raise from Jake!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? personal Bible study and intense prayer, also keeping in touch with family and friends a bit better

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Focusing on my stresses and not my joys

20. How did you spend Christmas? With my beautiful family and friends - no way to better celebrate!

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes - with two new chubby faces, rounded toe heels, grown-up jeans, gingerbread lattes, short hair, and more in love with Jake

22. What was your favorite TV program? Oh, my guilty pleasures! Jon and Kate Plus 8, Brothers and Sisters, Private Practice, LOST and The Bachelorette

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? What???? This question is silly - I didn't hate anyone this time last year or this year either! Just call me a Mama of Love!! :)

24. What was the best book you read? Sadly, I've not had much time to read. So my favorite's are Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, which I read for school. Also, the kids' book "What Makes a Rainbow?"

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? That when I turn Wicked up really loudly in the car, my voice sounds like it matches the performer's! Hmm....just let me bask in the moment while I think that I really do sound like them!

26. What did you want and get? Healthy baby girls and a toddler who didn't struggle with sibling rivalry right off the bat

27. What did you want and not get? A peaceful heart and the motivation to work out

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Oh, I'm bad - not much of a moviegoer at this point! Can I just say my favorite movie ever? Well, who can say I can't! I love the new Pride and Prejudice. Also, we just saw The Dark Knight and I thought that was really well done too - not the first movie I'd choose on a rainy day, but I definitely loved it thanks to my hubby!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 25 and spent the day with sweet Hayden who came home the day before. Best birthday present ever!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A housekeeper

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Another one that makes me laugh. Personal fashion concept? What does that even mean? Well, I bought what I call "grown-up" jeans. Basically, they're jeans that don't make me look like a teenager! I love them! Other than that, I'm very much a sweater and jeans girl - this will probably be my personal fashion concept in 2009 too because I haven't changed much over the years!

32. What kept you sane? My amazing husband and God's grace!

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I guess I would put Katie Holmes mainly because I copied her haircut. I will be forever thankful she went to a bob!! Aside from that, it would be Kate Gosselin. Love her!!!

34. What political issue stirred you the most? An act I recently heard of that Hillary Clinton is trying to pass where you could be arrested for spanking your child. Ugh! Why are we such extremists?!?!?!

35. Who did you miss? All of my family and friends in Michigan, my Grandpa who is in Heaven

36. Who was the best new person you met? Dr. Ojomo and all of his nurses, the NICU staff, Ken and Ginner Rudolph

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. I have two - 1) To always say goodbye. I didn't say this to Cole when I left for my ultrasound on Jan. 31 - and I then spent 7 weeks away from my little guy. Heartbreaking. 2) "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away; Blessed be the name of the Lord!" Basically that God is in control and that whether He gives or takes away, He is still good all of the time and loves us more than we can ever possibly fathom.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Savior, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave!"

No comments:

A New Spark

June also brought with it a somewhat new adventure for Maurah.  She joined MainStage Academy of Dance in the winter and showcased her work t...