NICU Reunion - Forever a Part of Us

Today was a really special day where we went back to St. Margaret Mercy Hospital and visited our NICU nurses and doctors in their annual reunion. It was so nice to see the familiar faces who walked with us as we watched Maurah and Hayden fight to be strong enough to come home. After 80 days total of pretty much every day with these people, they became an incredibly important part of our lives. We were told a few times how the nurses were especially looking forward to seeing the twins and that warmed my heart so much. Not only are they special to us, but we remain special to them as well. Here are some pictures from the day and then I've included the thank you that I wrote to the nurses and doctors, just to show you how deeply the feelings run.Dr. Kakkera (the twins' doc), the Mannes, Dr. Ojomo (my doc whom I told that I am paying him a visit tomorrow - one of my earthly heroes!), and Sue, a wonderful NICU nurse
Laurie (holding Hayden) - a wonderful nurse who, incidently, reminds us a TON of my Aunt Jean and Linda (holding Maurah) - my angel nurse, who, as you will see in the note played an enormous role in our time in their unit

Dear Dr. Chandra, Dr. Kakkera and all of our NICU nurses,

This letter comes so belated. While we finally got adjusted to the new size and schedules of our family, the holidays were upon us and my desire to write you kept getting pushed off.

I can’t believe that in just a few days, our girls, Maurah and Hayden will be turning a year old. So much of that is due to you all and how you cared for them for the first three months of their lives. As I look at them now, it seems like a dream that they were ever in the hospital having health concerns. Many people we come across comment that they would never be able to tell that the girls were preemies. I consider that a huge compliment and encouragement!

Dr. Chandra and Dr. Kakkera, thank you so much for your skilled hands and the way you treated Jake and I. I appreciate your straight talk, given with much care and tact. You both never left me with unanswered questions and always tried to make sure that I was given some hope when the girls, particularly Hayden, were at their worst points.

To all of our nurses – I wish I could name you one by one, but this letter would never end! ☺ Please know that I will never forget you and the love that you gave to my girls when I wasn’t able to. Even now, a year later, tears fill my eyes as I think about all of the time that my babies didn’t have their mom. I know they won’t remember it, but it was such a difficult time for me. I couldn’t have made it through if I thought they weren’t being loved. And I’m so thankful to all of you that you do that – you don’t just take care of the babies’ health needs, but you love them too. I hope you know how much that means to us as their parents! My best days were coming in and having our nurse that day be so excited for the progress the girls had made overnight. You were our cheerleaders, giving us strength and encouragement in the hard times.

I have to say a special thank you to Linda, who let us hold the girls for the first time, on Cole’s birthday and who also did a fun photo shoot of the girls, washing their hair and finding out that both of their heads were filled with tiny little ringlets! Both of those days I will forever hold in my heart.

Also, thank you to Janet for being such a rock of support on the day that I broke down. Hayden had been incredibly ill, my milk supply was non-existent, and I felt like I couldn’t continue doing what I was doing. You just looked me right in the eye and told me to dig way down because I had the strength it took to continue on for the girls and be there for them when they needed me to be.

I want all of you, from daytime nurses to nighttime nurses to the doctors to know how much I love you all and appreciate you! I feel so blessed to have been transferred to St. Margaret’s and to have my girls in your care.

Here is a picture of them from Thanksgiving time. They are getting so big! We hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with your families and we look forward to our reunion with you!

Love,


Megan Manne

2 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

What a beautiful letter. I identify so much with the feelings and emotions you shared. I agree the girls don't have a preemie look at all. :-) I wish we had NICU reunions. What a special thing. Our NICU at Blodgett closed and most of the nurses are at Butterworth now.

By the way, congratulations on your pregnancy. Many prayers for a smooth 9 months.

Rhonda said...

Your letter was so special. It made me cry, thinking of all you went through and how much the doctors and nurses must have appreciated receiving it! They will treasure it. You are special and EACH of your children are blessed to have you as their Momma.

A New Spark

June also brought with it a somewhat new adventure for Maurah.  She joined MainStage Academy of Dance in the winter and showcased her work t...