Praying for my kids

Matthew 33-37 (The Message)  "And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.

One of my resolutions for 2010 is to pray for my kids. You would think that the sole fact of me being a mother means that I pray for my kids daily. Truth be told, I do pray a lot throughout the day - but it's usually that we will all make it through the day. And, if we make it through the day with smiles on our faces, it's that much better!

Still, I have been a complete failure at praying for my kids in ways that matter - i.e., salvation, grace, kindness, etc. Instead, I have adapted the attitude that it's what I do with them that will make these things happen in their lives. While this is true to some degree, I can do nothing if God isn't working in their hearts.

I remember when the twins were in the hospital and I had the realization that I was not just their mother - I was their advocate. I had to represent them and stand up for the care they needed because they couldn't possibly do that for themselves. Really, I am all of my childrens' advocate before God.   They are not yet at ages to understand and know what's best for them (a relationship with the Lord), so it's my job privilege to stand before God and bring these requests before Him.  He has given them to me for a short time, but they are ultimately His.  The least I can do for them is uphold them in prayer.


Still, I'm not the greatest at follow-through.  Here, I publicly admit that I have been known to tell someone I'm going to pray for them and don't do it.  As hard as I want to, I struggle to remember and take the time to do it.  I'm glad to say I've gotten better at it and have started to ask people if I can pray for them then and there so I don't forget once I walk away.  But to pray for someone every day is still a weak spot of mine.  That's why I'm so thrilled to share this prayer calendar with you!  Scroll down to the bottom to print it out.

I will be using this to pray for my kids every day this month of February.  I think of February as the month of love, and what better way to love my kids than to pray for them?  I'm so excited to do this and I hope you'll join me!  I love that they say to put it by your potty too - I've started making the kids stay outside of the bathroom so I can get a few moments of solitude.  (They used to come in and want to sit on my lap.  Too much information?  Sorry!)  Typically, the bathroom is my escape room when I need a little sanity.  What better to help me get clarity on why I'm going to read the same book 50 times or why I need to respond in love when the bedspread, nightstand and desk are colored in permanent marker?  (Not that this has ever happened in our home of course!) 

Let me know if you've got any other suggestions or ideas on how you pray for your kids!  Or let me know if you'll be walking through this prayer calendar with me!  I can't wait to present my children before the Lord! 

No comments:

A New Spark

June also brought with it a somewhat new adventure for Maurah.  She joined MainStage Academy of Dance in the winter and showcased her work t...